#Suncorp's Office of the Customer Advocate
Suncorp’s Office of the Customer Advocate champions the voice of the customer across the organisation and reviews complex and sensitive complaints to ensure a quick resolution for our customers. The Customer Advocate provides objective assessments of the fairness and integrity of Suncorp’s customer processes, decisions and practices. This includes reviewing individual customer complaints where matters are complex or sensitive in nature.
The Executive General Manager Customer Advocate presents to the Board’s Risk Committee on the Office's activities.
Suncorp has clear processes to support customers when there is a concern or complaint, in compliance with guidelines and response timeframes mandated. All customer-facing teams complete mandatory complaints handling and dispute resolution training annually.
We know we don't always get things right and there is always room to improve. We have introduced programs to gain deeper insights into customer experiences, identify and fix issues before they escalate, and build a culture where complaints are viewed as an opportunity to learn and improve.
These include our:
- One Suncorp Customer Feedback program to help recognise, acknowledge, resolve, manage and capture customer feedback, complaints and compliments
- Training for our front-line teams to handle sensitive conversations with customers in challenging situations, particularly when customers are experiencing hardship
- Pain Points Program to help us understand and address the root cause of customer complaints, identify recurring themes and then make improvements to prevent a recurrence
- Concierge Pathways to prioritise complaints for vulnerable customers and improve referral pathways for those in difficult situations
- Accelerating Change Forums with Suncorp executives to hear directly from customer-facing teams on common customer, process, training or system issues.
If a customer is not satisfied with the outcome offered by our Customer Relations team, they can have it reviewed by Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) and the Financial Markets Authority (FMA) in New Zealand free of charge.
In 2019 we enhanced our Complaints Reporting and Analytics to better identify emerging issues, understand the causes of complaints, and improve processes to prevent poor customer experiences from continuing.
Suncorp’s internal complaint resolution times in Australia continue to improve, with 95 per cent of complaints received by our front line teams closed within five days, and 77 per cent of complaints referred to our specialist Customer Relations teams resolved within 21 days. Suncorp also increased delegations for Customer Relations teams to improve efficiency and customer experience.
Our commitment to resolving complaints and working with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA), since it formed in 2018, is strong.
*95% Level 1 complaints resolved in 5 days: Handled by customer-facing teams. Excludes New Zealand
*77% Level 2 complaints resolved in 21 days: Managed by Internal Customer Relations. Excludes New Zealand Team
*4,257 customers assisted during financial hardship: Excludes New Zealand and Australian Life Business